Have you heard of Medy Trucking? According to QuicIndianapolis, IN and operates only one truck and driver. But then again, they recently went into business on March 3, 2011 so their small operation is still growing right? Not anymore.
According to securingpharma.com, Medy Trucking was another case of a fictitious trucking company registering with the US Department of Transportation in order to steal freight.
Concerns over fraudulent trucking companies are continuing to rise as the Easter weekend alone experienced eight thefts for this very reason.
According to The Pharmaceutical Cargo Security Consortium, thieves are obtaining driver identification credentials and using them to register as a legit transportation company, as “Medy Trucking” did, the site notes.
High risk targets include food and pharmaceuticals which, under the wrong hands, can cause serious effects to consumers if the products are tampered with and then sold, not to mention the costs of a lost shipment. Two out of the eight shipments that were stolen over the Easter weekend were pharmaceutical, with a grand total of all eight shipments accumulating an estimated loss of over $1.2 million (http://www.securingpharma.com/40/articles/925.php).
But just because a manufacturer/distributer does not ship a product considered “low risk” does not mean that they should not be concerned about the security of their cargo, experts explain, especially when it comes to shipping via 3rd parties in which you do not know who is handling your freight.
As the article in securingpharma.com notes, “This rash of thefts is largely made possible through online brokering sites that criminal elements use to impersonate legitimate carriers, and win business from shippers…Of course the loads never arrive at the destination and are never seen again.”
So how do you ensure that you’re putting your freight in the hands of a trusted carrier? Easy, just follow these steps:
1. Go to www.roadscholar.com
2. Click on High Security Shipping
3. Under “High Security” click to view a presentation on Road Scholar’s high security service
4. Click on Home and go to Get Rates & Quotes to access your freight or auto hauling rate
5. Call 800-542-2301 to schedule your pickup or, if you are already a customer, schedule a pick up online
6. Click on Driver Verification to quickly and easily verify that the driver picking up/delivering your freight is legit
7. Click on Online Tools or use your handheld phone to track your shipment from the moment if leaves your dock to the moment it safely arrives to your customer viewing your shipment’s live position at all times
9. Don’t forget to visit www.roadscholar.com for all of your freight needs
It’s that simple, saving you time, money, and having to explain to your customer why their freight was not delivered.
Wouldn’t you rather trust your freight in the hands of a secure carrier rather than risk having it stolen by an imposter?